Gone are the days when you needed to travel abroad to experience the thrill of an amusement park. All that adrenaline is right here in the form of killer theme parks which guarantee thrills and chills. So ditch that banal life and get ready for the roller coaster ride! Presenting the top seven theme parks in India:
1) Adventure Island, New Delhi
Bridges, towers, jungles and lakes, this theme park has got it all. You’ve got the bumper car rides and wheels, slightly low on adrenaline but still fun… And then there are rides such as the ‘butterfly feeling’, ‘twister’ and ‘Flip Out’. There are rides exclusive to kids, adults as well as those where the entire family can participate together!
- Location: Opposite Rithala Metro Station, Sector 10, Rohini, New Delhi
- Timings: 11 AM-7 PM daily
2) Essel World, Mumbai
One of the first theme parks in India, Essel World is constantly reinventing fun. Essel World has an exclusive Water Park and boasts of an ice skating rink, an aquadome and over 30 thrilling rides and the very interestingMonsters in the Mist Dark Ride,a four minute journey through a tunnel with a few ‘scary friends’ as company.
- Location: Gorai, in north-west Mumbai. It’s around 40 kilometers from the city center. Take a ferry from Marve Beach or Gorai Creek.
- Timings: 10 AM to 7 PM daily
3) Suraj Water Park, Thane
A six time winner of the Limca Book of Records for being Asia’s largest glass cave, this park is called the pride of Maharashtra. What’s interesting here is the mix of Indian mythology and water activities that makes the rides thrilling and interesting! Try the Har Har Gange water slide as well as the one dedicated to Lord Shiva where you slide on his hairlock!
- Location: Ghodbunder Highway, Waghbil Naka, Thane West, Thane, Maharashtra
- Timings: 10 AM – 6 PM daily
4) Kingdom of Dreams, Gurgaon
The relatively newer addition in the theme park bandwagon takes you on a journey through incredible India. As you walk under the magnificent skies of the culture gully, you can explore the food and arts of the various states of India (don’t miss the street performers!). Buy yourself a ticket to Zangoora, the story of a gypsy prince which is high on the popularity charts. Packed with culture and entertainment, hours spent here are a delightful experience.
- Location: Near IFFCO Chowk Metro Station, Sector 29, Gurgaon.
- Timings: Tuesday- Sunday 1 PM-1 AM
5) Wonderla, Bangalore
Much like Bangalore, this amusement park is clean and green. With over 50 rides for both adults and kids, fun awaits! There are also nine special rides for children. From water based rides (specifically the Rain Disco, and indoor water based dance floor with its own sound and light show) to its inbuilt residential facilities; enjoy a fun filled weekend here!
- Location: 30 kilometers from Bangalore, off the Bangalore-Mysore highway
- Timings: Weekdays 11AM. – 6 PM, Weekend/Holidays 11 AM -7 PM
6) Aquatica, Kolkata
An array of water based rides,Cyclone (high speed bumping ride where you move from calm waters to a storm), Pendulum (oscillating water slide) and Niagara Falls (a high speed water drop) being the unique attractions. With an inbuilt resort, this park plays host to many events from birthday parties to even group corporate events!
- Location: Near Rajarhat Township, Kochpukur, Hathgachchia P.O., Kolkata, West Bengal
- Timings: Everyday 10 AM– 6PM
7) Imagica, Mumbai
Absolutely magical is what they call it and magical it is! Whether it’s thrill or adventure, whatever you seek you shall find. From themed rides such as Salimgarh and Wrath of the Gods to Dare 2 Drop and Scream machine for the slightly braver participants. The ‘less wild’ rides for the complete family are the tea cup and carousel rides. Ofcourse there’s a delightful food court with Roberto dishing up pizzas at the Red Bonnet American diner.
- Location: Sangdewadi, Pali-Khopoli Road, Tal-Khalapur, Off Mumbai-Pune Express
- Timings: 11 AM-9PM Daily